How to Become a Boxer in 8 (Not-So-Easy) Steps
Wednesday, June 19 2013
“Look Ma, No Hands”
- Sign up for HaymakersForHope. Receive a free gym membership to Redline Fight Sports.
- Quit drinking.
- OK, drink occasionally.
- Box four or five days a week.
- Start sparring. Spar against a guy who apparently fights Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) professionally. Wish that you had known this before MMA Guy beat you up for two minutes straight.
- Realize you need to eat better. Glance longingly at each Dunkin’ Donuts you pass. Eat spinach.
- Dread going to sparring class on Mondays, partly because MMA Guy might be there, and partly because a new guy could show up and not show restraint. Lament the fact that other MMA guys enjoy trying their hand at boxing. Compared to getting kicked in the face, boxing is a meditative pursuit akin to bird watching or Hacky Sack. “They’re just punches,” says one of them. Make a mental note to never hang out with an MMA guy.
- Finally, endure the following phases, culminating in your fight: